HOW LONG DOES AN OIL CHANGE TAKE?
At Pickering Honda, our oil changes take approximately an hour to complete. We, and most other Drive Autogroup dealerships, also offer complimentary on-site car washes when you get an oil change with us, which usually takes about half an hour. Start to finish, we require an hour and a half to fully complete an oil change. During our oil changes, our technicians also take the time to change your oil filter.
How Often to Get an Oil Change
Oil changes are recommended every 5 000 to 10 000 km; this varies based on your vehicle’s make and model, and the specific details regarding maintenance schedules can usually be found in a vehicle’s owner manual or on the manufacturer’s website.
As a general rule of thumb:
- Cars from 2010 or newer require oil changes every six months or 8 000 km (whichever comes first)
- 2006 – 2009 models should get an oil change every four months or 8 000 km (whichever comes first)
- Cars from 2005 or older need oil changes every three months or 6 000 km (whichever comes first)
Honda recommends getting an oil change every 6 000 km or six months (whichever comes first).
In addition to oil changes, all vehicles have their own maintenance schedule, which when followed, extends your car’s engine life. Your vehicle’s unique maintenance schedule can be found in your owner’s manual or on the manufacturer’s website. Honda recommends standard maintenance every six months and full maintenance every 12 months. The six-month standard maintenance includes:
- Oil and filter change
- Parking brake adjustment
- Lubricate all locks, hinges, and latches
- Clean antenna mast
The twelve-month full maintenance includes all services from the six-month maintenance plus:
- Replacing air cleaner element
What Type of Oil to Use
The type of oil that’s best for your car will vary based on the vehicle’s make and model. Using the oil recommended for your vehicle will maximize your engine’s life. You can refer to your owner’s manual for information on the best type of oil for your make and model. Generally, synthetic oil is recommended over conventional oil for newer models. Synthetic oil doesn’t degrade as quickly so the vehicle can go longer without an oil change.
Honda recommends using their Honda Genuine 0W20 Engine Oil for all Honda models. This is a type of synthetic oil, and at Pickering Honda, we only use this type of oil when servicing Honda vehicles.
Why Oil Changes are so Important
The main reason your oil needs to be changed regularly is because after a period of time, your vehicle’s oil begins to degrade and collect debris. This means the oil cannot clean your engine or lubricate the moving parts correctly.
Changing your oil regularly will…
- Help to reduce engine wear and corrosion by ensuring the parts are properly lubricated and by preventing engine components from overheating
- Protect your engine from sludge and dirt build-up by guaranteeing that the oil is able to collect debris (after a period of time, old oil can no longer collect dirt and sludge because it already contains large amounts of debris).
Oil changes are extremely important to keep your vehicle running. They ensure the value of your vehicle, while enhancing the car’s performance, safety and fuel efficiency. Overall, changing your vehicle’s oil regularly will extend the life of your vehicle’s engine.